Modes-Online

You selected: wakgm : a1.91 3/36
111

WAKGM : A1.91 3/36

The Gott Collection

South East View of Marton

The Gott Collection was made by John Gott [1830-1906], Vicar of Leeds and later Bishop of Truro, and his father William Gott [1797-1863]. There are ten volumes, each approx 660mm by 520mm in size. They were bound by Mckenzie, 4 Crown Street, Westminster, in red Morocco super extra, tooled in gold. There are letters from B.T.Batsford, R.S. Garnett, and L.C. Braun dated May-June 1916 pinned to flyleaf of Volume I. The letters all pertain to the purchase of the volumes by Frank Green.

WAKGM : A1.91 3/36 : The Gott Collection
Hide details
111111
Object
ObjectIdentity
Number
WAKGM : A1.91 3/36
Institution
WAKGM
Identification
Classification
Keyword
Yorkshire and Captain Cook
System
MART
ObjectName
Keyword
The Gott Collection
Title
South East View of Marton
BriefDescription
The Gott Collection was made by John Gott [1830-1906], Vicar of Leeds and later Bishop of Truro, and his father William Gott [1797-1863]. There are ten volumes, each approx 660mm by 520mm in size. They were bound by Mckenzie, 4 Crown Street, Westminster, in red Morocco super extra, tooled in gold. There are letters from B.T.Batsford, R.S. Garnett, and L.C. Braun dated May-June 1916 pinned to flyleaf of Volume I. The letters all pertain to the purchase of the volumes by Frank Green.
Production
Person
Role
artist
PersonName
Cuit, George
Note
(1743-1818)
Date
1788
Association
Type
subject
Place
PlaceName
Marton
PlaceName
Yorkshire
PlaceName
UK
Description
Aspect
Part
medium
Type
material
KeywordList
Keyword
pen
Keyword
ink,indian ink wash
Aspect
Part
support
Type
material
KeywordList
Keyword
paper
Inscription
Transcription
N.B. the rising Hillock is the only remains of the clay built cottage where Capt Cook was born
Evidence
Reason
Research on George Cuit (1743-1818) and his scenes of 18th century Cleveland
Person
PersonName
Thornton, Cliff
Organisation
OrganisationName
Cleveland and Teeside Local History Society
Date
12.2007
Note
full article on George Cuit and the Captain Cook drawings is available on F Drive/Modes/Documents/Art/Gott Collection/Volume 3
ObjectLocation
Location
Keyword
Keeper Of Art's Office at Wakefield Art Gallery
Recorder
Initials
mm
Date
17.12.1998
Description
Aspect
Type
condition
KeywordList
Aspect
Type
completeness
KeywordList
Aspect
Part
frame
KeywordList
Aspect
Part
mount
KeywordList
Measurement
Part
sheet
Dimension
max. height
Reading
Value
322
Unit
mm
Measurement
Part
sheet
Dimension
max. width
Reading
Value
405
Unit
mm
Measurement
Part
frame
Dimension
max. depth
Measurement
Part
mount
Dimension
max. height
Measurement
Part
mount
Dimension
max. width
Measurement
Part
mount
Dimension
max. depth
Acquisition
Method
gift
Person
Role
from
PersonName
Green, Frank
Address
Date
1930
Transfer
Organisation
Role
exhibitor
LoanOut
Person
Role
borrower
Organisation
Role
borrower
Conservation
Person
Role
conservator
Reproduction
Method
digital camera
Type
identification
Filename
Gott3_36.jpg WAKGM : A1.91 3/36 : The Gott Collection
Organisation
Role
photographer
OrganisationName
North Yorkshire County Record Office
Date
DateBegin
12.2004
DateEnd
7.2005
Reproduction
Type
b/w neg & slide
Administration
ItemCategory
Type
collection
Keyword
Gott
Date
8.8.2007
Commentary
South East view of Marton by George Cuit (1743-1818).
Commentary
The rising Hillock is the only remains of the clay built cottage where Capt Cook was born.This is the earliest image of the site of James Cook’s birthplace. Drawn some 60 years after Cook’s birth in 1728, the artist found that the clay “biggin” in which he was born had long since collapsed. The cottages to the right of the scene lie along Marton Back Lane, a public highway that Henry Bolckow closed after he purchased the Marton estate in the 1850s. The route of that highway can still be seen in the footpath that runs north-south through Stewart Park and passes the memorial urn that marks the site of Cook’s birthplace.
Commentary
The artist George Cuit was born in 1743 at Moulton, a small village near Richmond, North Yorkshire. His natural drawing abilities were recognised by Sir Lawrence Dundas who sponsored his formal art training in Rome. Cuit remained in Rome from 1769 to 1775 when he returned to England and tried to establish a studio in London. A year or so later he moved back to Richmond for health reasons and remained there for the rest of his life. He specialised in commissions from the local gentry, producing oil paintings of their country estates, their manor houses and occasionally their portraits. This series of images which relate to the life of Captain Cook were commissioned by Lord Mulgrave of Whitby in the 1780's.
References
Note
Research courtesy of Cliff Thornton, Bulletin of The Cleveland & Teeside Local History Society, Winter 2007
Reference
Volume
Winter 2007
Journal
Bulletin of The Cleveland & Teeside Local History Society
Date
2007
Author
Thornton, Cliff